Friday, November 7, 2008

Fashion

Buy from one store, buy from someone who knows your body, buy less.

I am not great at picking out lots of different pieces of clothes and "putting it all together." Nor do I watch alot of TLC or What not to Wear. Plus, I am pretty busy.

My advice is to just shop at one store (MAYBE two.) I just go in a few times a year, and whatever the have (clothes, shoes, bracelets) I buy within my budget.

They pay designers big bucks to coordinate outfits, and often the styles and colors work from year to year, so it's a great way to build a wardrobe.

Get to know one saleswoman. Work with her each time, regardless of the store. They will send your coupons and tell you the best times to come into the store. Greg does the same thing with his store.

Personally, I have a personal shopper (it's free) at JCrew and 85% of the time just buy from her. Remember, JCrew gives you a 15% teacher discount. I switched to JCrew over two years ago and have to buy less since it's a bit more pricey, but I don't get tired of the clothes and they last longer.

Also, edit, edit, edit your closet. I have such a hard time with this. Honestly, do you need more than 15 outfits? Find 15 that you love. Give the rest to Goodwill.

The macro principle here is to be store loyal. If you get to know the shop owners, they are more likely to give you good advice and help you out.
---------------------------------
More about Ashley Neighbors, the free personal shopping service from JCrew:
Honestly, in the past year I haven't even been able to get to Memphis to shop, so doing this by e-mail or by phone helps. She will send you outfit photos picked out just for you by e-mail, and you can select from there. Yes, it's more pricey. But the theme is - buy less outfits. Buy only outfits you love and look great on you. Take care of all your clothes, because you will need to buy classics that last a long time. If you need to supplement with a $10 H&M shirt do so, but otherwise, buy things that work for you and you love. And if you don't have style, like me, find someone who does. (Stay in your lane.)
JCrew personal shopper: 1.800.261.7422 or ashley.neighbors@Jcrew.com

No comments: