Friday, November 7, 2008

Before you job hunt

I just gave a lecture on social networking during Career U.
Here are some things that I think seniors should know, but sometimes don't.

Before you search for a job
1) Get a professional e-mail account like marysmith@gmail.com. (I also think gmail is classier than hotmail.) Trust me, I'mahotmama@hotmail.com just isn't going to get you called for an interview.

2) Edit your facebook pics and postings. Don't be afraid to delete those posted by others if they don't represent you well.

3) Get a serious ring tone for your phone or text alerts. (Avoid silly or controversial.)

4) If you have "music while you wait" on your cell, choose classy music.

5) Contact Career Services rjones@uu.edu to make an appointment! You don't have to have it all together before you go in. Go in with no resume and no direction, and they WILL help you! Just make an appointment!

No comments: