How to get here:
- Fly into Newark NJ.
- You can rent a car and head down the Garden State Parkway (50 minutes, unless you are driving to the shore on a Friday afternoon.)
- You can take the train from Newark airport to Asbury Park Train Station via NJ Transit:(as short as 72 minutes, $16.50 for an adult ticket.) http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom
- Once you get off at Asbury Park, you can take a $5 plus tip taxi into Ocean Grove (1.5 miles away from OG), or take the EZ shuttle for $1.00 http://www.ezride.org/10-0-shore.asp (Print Asbury Park schedule located at the bottom right of the webpage.)
- For couples http://www.oceangrovenj.com/sandpiper/index.html (B&B = shared bath. This is on Ocean Pathway, the prettiest street in America.)
- http://www.quakerinn.com/index.html (For Families - all rooms have private baths.)
- Of course, there are many wonderful B&B’s. http://www.oceangrovenj.com/html/accommodations.html (The Bath Avenue House is right next to our cottage.)
- Or call Century 21 and ask for a weekly rental. You want to be within three blocks from the ocean. http://www.c21coastal.org/ (I’m going to be honest - housing is pricey here - you are in the northeast. We are blessed to have family here. But again, if you can get a large rental and split it with a friend, it may be really worth it!)
You can walk pretty much everywhere, but renting bikes are fun. You can rent bikes at the Ocean Grove Hardware Store on Main Street, or the Brielle Bike Shop at Asbury Park (on the boardwalk, within easy walking distance from OG). Unless noted, all the things to do are within walking distance.
A high end dinner would be at Moonstruck in Asbury Park or Seagrass in Ocean Grove.
There is a small, pricey grocery store in town called Pathway Market. If you have a car, the best (and I mean the blow your socks off best) supermarket is Wegmans. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreDetailView?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=347878
The best health food store is Deans http://deansnaturalfoodmarket.com/
- No problem! Head to New Jersey Premium Outlets (need a car)
- Go to the movie - at Clearview movie theatre, the manager comes out and introduces the movies personally (need a car.)
- Head to Git Fired up and paint pottery (need a car or ride a bike - on the entrance to OG.) http://www.gitfireduppottery.com/
There are free yogalaties on Bradley Beach (walking distance from OG) a few nights a week.
- Saturday at noon - a free organ concert performed by Gordon Turk, our neighbor and also an organist often features on NPR’s Pipe Dreams.
- Wed at 8:00pm - Ocean Grove Band - free concert of showtunes and marches at the pavillion on the boardwalk.
- Concerts Saturday nights (tickets can be pricey.) We have seen ABBA here, Davy Jones, Three Dog Night, Diana Krall. (See events for performers)
- Of course Asbury Park has tons of performers (more edgy) - at the famous Stone Pony or the Wonderbar.
Feel like heading to NYC for a day or two? Just take the EZ train ($1) or taxi to the Asbury Park train Station ($5 plus tip). Put your $11-$15 (one way) in the meter and buy a ticket!
The ride is really comfortable, and is 100-120 minutes depending on if you take express or not. You have to switch trains at Long Branch (1-2 stops from Asbury Park) but it just means getting of the train, and walking 10 feet to the only other train.)
Or you can take the bus from Main Street in Ocean Grove to NYC drops off around 42nd street. It takes two hours, and it’s $16 a ticket one way. http://direct.academybus.com/commuters/ (Personally, I’d take the train.)
(Also click on the music programs on the same page.)
There are Bible Studies for ages 3+ in the morning. 9-10 for the younger ones, 9-11 for the older kids. They have Bible Studies led by a summer staff through high school. All these activities are free.
While your kids are there, you can choose to go to the morning Bible Hour near the Great Auditorium from 9-10.
Ladies Study Under the Umbrellas is on the beach (by the North pier) from 7:30-8:30 on Monday nights.
Sunday is worship at the Great Auditorium, from 10:30-noon. You will hear the beautiful OG organ which is one of the largest and famous organs in the world. You will see the famous ushers march and hear great speakers. (Free childcare during church is provided in the Youth Temple across from the Great Auditorium.)
1. Of course, there is the ocean. You have to buy passes to the beach, but it’s a great beach. (Standard beach, snack shop, you can rent umbrellas and chairs.) If you stay at a hotel/B&B, most of the hotels have discount badges for the ocean.
2. Small jungle gym on the south end of Ocean Grove and one on the Asbury Park Beach.
3. Every other Friday night they have a free Family Night Movie on the beach. Bring your chairs and blanket! They provide snacks and drinks.
4. There is sports every day (mostly for the locals, but your kid can jump in)
5. There is Learn to Fish Tuesdays from 7:30-8:30 am on the North Pier. http://www.oceangrove.org/pages/index
6. The OGCMA rec department has sports for kids ages 5-12 every day from 2:30-3:30. Call 732-988-5533 for more info. It’s free, but parents need to sign a consent form.
There are tennis lessons every Thursday.
7. Tennis - once the girls did a kids lesson (Thursdays?) http://oceangrove.org/pages/Tennis_information
- Depending on the day, there is the annual used book sale (3 books for $1 - admission is free unless you go on Thursday night.)
- There is annual bazzar, and art show on the boardwalk, and so much more -again, depending on the week you go.