Sunday, September 13, 2009
I have alot to say about this, but here are my top points
1) You must manage your money or you won't be able to be charitable.
2) If you are busy, the best website I have found is mvelopes.com
go to mvelopes.com/diary for a free 60 day trial. (This could be expired by the time you read this, but just search for a free trial period.)
it's a bit pricey, but here are the features:
- enter your income
- divide that money into "virtual" envelopes - a spending plan (do they add up?)
- enter all your credit cards and checking account info.
- every day you will see purchase transaction - regardless of how you paid for it (credit card, debit, check.) And the credit card purchases show immediately on the transaction screen (not when the bill comes). Then, you move that purchase into an envelope (e.g. "groceries" "clothing" "gifts for others".) When your credit card comes, your "envelope" is full of the exact cash. And, it syncs with your checking account, so you always know if you are ok. Plus free bill pay. It may seem confusing at first, but if you are interested, I'll walk you through it. 10 minutes of my coaching on the set up is better then 2 hours of trying to figure it out online.